Sunday, November 14, 2010

Commitment




When I first met John, he was teaching in a Catholic elementary school. There were still nuns there (no longer the case at many schools) and John had a great relationship with them. Today, the order celebrated its 125th anniversary. This is the bishop saying a few words after Mass. He had this order in school when he was a boy. Note that there are no young nuns. I used PictureShow to make it look like an old Polaroid because it reflects an era that is passing.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful capture of the moment...I just read your rant over on facebook and I know several people who think that public schools are awful (I went to a Catholic school and my boys are in public...to the dismay of many) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evocative image, the kids I knew that went to Catholic school were the baddest I knew...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 16 years of Catholic school, and my husband a year and a half more than that. We started my first two in the local parochial school; but then they got a new principal who was truly vicious, we took them out. Public schools have been great for them. Both systems ahve their pros and cons. It is sad, though, that the Catholic system is dying since there are so few nuns any more, and they cost has become prohibitive.

    ReplyDelete