Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter

Nothing is more emblematic of winter in New England than a nor'easter. Today's storm depostited the highest snowfall in 24 hours in recorded history at Bradley Field north of Hartford. We got about two feet here in Kensington. After the worst of it was over and the plows had gone through, John and I went for a frigid walk to Paper Goods Pond. The snow was too deep to get near the shore, so I wasn't able to get close enough to capture the swirls of snow blowing over the surface of the pond. It's hard to believe that a few months ago, we were kayaking out there.

14 comments:

  1. Now that is a view that we haven't seen yet...Brrrrrr....I think I like the warm pictures better lol I think I better stop complaining about our 10" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of that pond, conjures up all kinds of images for me - but this certainly does look stark!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white snow sure adds consistency to a landscape. The benches and the grasses help you to know where the water's edge starts and the land ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photo's like that never cease to amaze me. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That snow looks DEEP! Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your picture shows winter from a very nice side, I like the landscape and the seats at the edge of the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean with deep snow ;-) the wind gives great patterns in the snow but this wiew is also very, very nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful winter scene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful pristine scene framed wonderfully by those grasses and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This image gives you a cold and isolated feel. I can almost hear the wind whistling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shot and view....but sooo cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great winter capture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the way you show us the pond in all the glorious seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a good job in capturing the after-feeling of the storm.

    ReplyDelete