Monday, July 12, 2010

Found




In the 29 years we've lived in this town, we've only been able to see this mill fall from the top. The falls and the stream that ran from it belonged to Sherwood Industries. Eventually the factory closed. It was abandoned for many years, but the property was still fenced off. It's now being renovated into condos. This evening, some of the fencing was down, so John and I slipped in to explore. To us, this was new found territory. This is a view of the falls and an old brick structure that must have been some sort of a control house--it's got some huge rusted wheels or cogs in it. I took the picture with ProHDR.

7 comments:

  1. I'd rush back and take a shot while standing on that low wall to the left of the pond those mini falls seem intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this perspective...nice bright colors, too.

    I think the falls look better here than in tomorrow's photo (I'm a day behind). Here, they look more imposing. (Sorry, Ron).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a really fun place to explore...love all the colors and the old factory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to have a new place to explore. Such warm tones in this. I like the falls from this view too, were they tapped for hydro power?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were used at some point for power for the factory; but by the time we moved here in 1981, the factory, of course, used modern sources. Before the factory went out of business a few years ago, the company sold the dam and the pond--the Paper Goods Pond I feature so often--to the town for $1. The town, in turn, maintains the dam and constructed a lovely little park at the near end of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun to explore a previously forbidden place! I think these old mills are fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice colors and perspective. I too like this version and not the one of the falls alone.

    ReplyDelete