Sunday, September 13, 2009


Gillette Castle was built by the stage actor, William Gillette. Back at the turn of the last century, he became famous portraying Sherlock Holmes on Broadway. He built a home overlooking the Connecticut River, designing it to look like a ruined castle. He had no heirs. In his will, he left the Castle to the State of Connecticut because he didn't want it to fall into the hands of a "blithering saphead." I will refrain from political commentary. This is the Castle as seen from the ferry slip on the other side of the river. I wanted to find an effect that made the Castle stand out; using Dark Strokes and Torn Edges together seemed to do it.


I might have had some other options, but alas--when I was getting out of the car on the ferry, my trust point and shoot slipped off my lap and fell to the deck. It was only about a foot, but it has seizures when I try to turn it on, and then I get a message that says, "LENS ERROR." I emailed Nikon, but I fear it is doomed.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like yours and your hubby's little outings are yielding some great images!

    I am so sorry about your camera- I bet that just made you sick! Hope it can be fixed and isn't gong to camera heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Gillette Castle many years ago, I remember reading about how difficult it was to build.
    Hope your camera will be okay.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete