Tuesday, November 29, 2011

H is for Hand




This is my hand, with 58 years of weathering and experience. On it is a Claddagh ring. John gave me one when we were were courting & visiting Ireland withy parents. When we got engaged, his sisters told him he had to buy me a diamond. I refused--I wanted my Claddagh ring as my engagement ring. The original ring was handmade and thin. It broke when we were on our honeymoon in Ireland in 1979. He bought me a replacement in Clifton in Connemara. The stone is green Connemara marble. I've worn it over my white gold wedding band for 32 years now. The reason I wanted the Claddagh ring over the diamond is the symbolism: the heart stands for love, the hands for friendship, and the crown for fidelity. And that's what makes a good marriage. It's what I hoped for 32 years ago--and what I have been fortunate enough to have for all these years. 365/2011

9 comments:

  1. Great image and narrative. I don't wear rings but if I did I would want something highly symbolic and individualized like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read about your happy marriage and your personal sentiments about the symbolism of your rings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts for a beautiful image Bobbie! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful narrative and image . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bobbi,
    Congrats on 32 awesome years. Beautiful ring with all it's history. Have a great day!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this wonderful story! Thanks for telling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A picture is worth a thousand words and you said a lot! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. A very sweet and touching part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post...each bit of weathering in your hand is a result of your life's journey. Love the symbolism....too bad there aren't more people these days who take the fidelity aspect seriously. This and the post of Daybreak are my favorites of the last couple of weeks when I didn't do any blogging. I have enjoyed each of your photos for different reasons and certainly love the diversity of your subjects/processing. I won't comment on each one as the time is too limited but know that I did find them interesting viewing.

    ReplyDelete