Thursday, August 26, 2010

Faces




My daughter, Sierra, and her best friend, Kathryn--in a few days off to college at different schools. It's both exciting and a bit traumatic to them. I look at two beautiful gifted young women on the brink of their futures, and I know they will both do well. I also know I'm going to miss them something wicked. The photo was run through several different apps (something I don't usually do) to get just the right effect to put the attention on their faces and personalities rather than the colored background. Using B&W also help unify the photo by softening the contrast between Sierra's coppery brown Asian skin tones and Kathryn's pale Irish complexion.

9 comments:

  1. Makes even old me feel their youth and potential, thereby it is a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Good luck to them both.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful portrait of best friends with their futures ahead of them...go get 'em girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your choice of post-processing! I can see how B&W really helped put the focus on these two beautiful, youthful faces. How far away will your daughter Sierra be when she leaves for college? I'm sure this is a bit exciting and traumatic for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sierra's going to Fairfield University as a business major. It's a bit over an hour from home--far enough that she'll live there; near enough that she can come home when she wants to. It IS hard on me, for two reasons: we've been very close and I'm going to miss her something wicked, AND she's the baby, so we're facing an "empty nest."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you will be lonely. The photo is something to treasure of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photo, capturing a special time in their lives! They'd probably each love a copy...tucked away in someplace unexpected, to unpack in their dorms...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the light you got on both their faces, so expectant, so much promise. Wishing the best to both of those beauties. I love Val's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We dropped Sierra off at college today, and I didn't get a chance to print the photo. But Kathryn--who doesn't leave until Thursdau for her school and who is pretty much alone since all her friends have gone--is coming for dinner tomorrow. I'll try to have a copy for her as a going away present.

    ReplyDelete