Thursday, October 1, 2009


This is the weekend of the Berlin Fair. The town in which I love is now a fair sized suburb, but we still have the Fair, a last remnant of our agricultural past. There's no school on Friday and kids get in for free. Parents take the day off to go to the Fair with their kids. The peer leadership program at the high school sells wrist bands that allow one access to all the rides all day Friday. There are contests to enter for jam, vegetables, needlework, crafts, baked goods, photography, and critters from duck to rabbits to cows. If you've got something to enter, you bring it in on Thursday evening. I love going to the Fair Grounds then. There's a special perspective in being there before the Fair opens: the carnies assembling their booths and rides, the hopping-happy kids towing parents ladened precariously... with precious projects, the scent of coffee and autumn in the air... It's like watching the ingredients of magic being assembled just before the spell is cast.


This is a picture of some of the rides this evening, still and empty. Tomorrow, this will all be light and sound and motion. Using Poster Edges and Diffse Glow together gives it a dream-like look.

I did enter some photos as well as strawberry and peach jam. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck at all! Your dreamy picture is making me dream of being at the fair! Wonderful image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful shot but I am most drawn to what I deem to be the best Freudian slip for the entire challenge to date, I quote you " The town in which I love is now a fair sized suburb, " Now normally I would have just passed it as a typing error, but the more I thought on it, the term "THE TOWN IN WHICH I LOVE" Has become so powerful I think I will steal it and use it often, If you want acknowledgement for the creation please advise me - I Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron--You can use my typos any time you like!

    ReplyDelete