Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Arc

These are the buttresses that support I-91 in Hartford. They form a perfect series of arcs. I took the picture with my little Kodak Z915. It's dark under the highway, and this morning was cloud-ladened, so the original photo--even after the usual tune-up--was ponderous and grey. I applied the Pencil Sketch effect, then lowered the opacity enough so that the original showed through, but the whole photo looked lighter and airier, which brings out the magnificent architecture.

This would have been a good opportunity to for the mini-assignment in terms of Symmetry and Patterns; however, I've been stopped and questioned once before when I was taking pictures here of the bridge structure. I don't think I look like a terrorist, but realistically, it does seem suspicious for someone to be stopped in a nearly deserted section of the city snapping pictures of the underside of a major highway. I decided it was wiser to snag my arcs and head on to work.

9 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I love the image and the effect you applied! I'm glad you risked the quick shot. I actually think I like that it's on a bit of an angle, rather than perfectly symmetrical, for I think it gives more realism to the scene. This is really, really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the lines and arcs, it leads you through all of those details! I never would have thought about getting stopped for taking pics of a bridge, guess it makes sense though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a display of geometry in action so action packed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice frame work love the symmetry of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the above comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. see..I love it but being a Libra..I'd love to see it straight on to see the ful repeat...can you go back and risk it?? LOL. It is a beautiful structure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This picture just goes to show that you can find beauty in just about anything. It is a very beautiful picture. Just don't get arrested, Bobbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting photo. I love the series of arcs. The processing works well. Next time I go north on I-91 I will have to look for this. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much to look at in this shot--the arc, the colors and textures, the lines and angle. I like the sketch effect you've used, too!

    ReplyDelete