Friday, January 15, 2010

Every winter, these beetles appear in our office. They seem to nest in the artificial plants in the lobby. This one showed up on my desk today. It was shy, though-as soon as I started taking pictures, it flew away. I used PhotoGene and Touchup to tune it up, then Camera Bag to apply the fish eye effect. To be honest, I did a little too much editing with a photo that was taken with a cell phone of a moving target--it's too fuzzy. Alas, some work days don't offer me many options!

8 comments:

  1. We call them fire flies, don't know why, they don't have anything to do with a fire. Any way, good close up of something that doesn't stand still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks a little blue on my screen, but I have seen some of them around too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like one of those bug orbs...I like the effect you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a boxelder beetle. The come in from the cold, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the fish-eye editing thing. It looks very good on this image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A giant Box Elder bug is taking over a planet! Where the heck do you work...NASA? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're being swarmed by the box elder bugs! Creepy things that always startle me although I think they're actually harmless. Nice shadow there--really gives the impression that it's a GIANT bug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool shot! He does look like he might be very large...

    ReplyDelete