Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow shadows




It really wasn't the best day for photography. To begin with, I have a wicked cold, so my energy level is zilch. When I left for work this morning, it was 12 degrees with a stiff wind blowing. The wind had etched fascinating textures on the snow, but after just three shots, frostbite was setting in, so I didn't worry about exposures. The first email I opened at worked casually discussed a shooting outside the building yesterday, reminding us that ours is a dangerous setting, what with the overpasses, train tracks and general desolation of the area. So all in all, those three shots were going to have to do. I used PhotoForge to try to enhance the light & contrast and MonoPhix to take out residual color cast.

6 comments:

  1. Wow - what texture you managed to get...the contrast between shadows and light just adds to the richness, nice one! Hope you are feeling a little better this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...stay safe!

    This has a kind of creepy look to it! but, maybe that's just after I read the comment about the shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read about the shooting...I thought you meant a photography shooting (ok...I live in the somewhat safe Midwest suburbs). Glad you were tucked safely in your office. Hope you are pampering yourself with tea today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get an eerie almost Halloween feel to it. I am amazed at the "sensitivity" and "emotion" your iPhone is conveying to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dark and moody!! Nice work and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a creepy, cold picture which exactly describes this winter. You be careful, Bobbie.

    ReplyDelete