Sunday, May 10, 2009


Today we took our 16 year old daughter and her friend to see Phantom of the Opera at the Bushnell in Hartford. This gentleman plays his trumpet outside the theater before and after the performances, regardless of the weather. With all the people trooping by for the production, it was hard to get a good picture of him (not to mention my daughter, dying of embarrassment at her mom taking "random pictures on the street.") A combination of Chalk and Charcoal with Colored Pencil isolated him from the background while still basically keeping the color.

8 comments:

  1. I love Phantom of the Opera! Wasn't it just wonderful! love the effect - it really brings out the trumpet player!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good show! I like your effect on this. It makes the subject stand out so much better. I am enjoying catching up on all the posts now I have my computer back. This is my favorite of yours this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how this turned out! just seems so easy on the eyes without losing colour. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. My 16 year old daughter would have HID if I was taking "street" photos! I can appreciate your photo so much more knowing the story behind it. :-)

    How was the show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo. My family has learned to walk on and act as if they don't know me when I am taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cool photo! But what caught me was the mention of Phantom of the Opera. I love that show - I've seen it once in New York and twice in Boston - and I'd go again. Hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat photo!! I think you should write filter tuts!!

    I can just see the look of horror on your daughter's face when you stopped to take this photo!! Did you like the performance?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen Phantom twice before here in Hartford, but this performance was the best ever. I had dissolved in helpless tears by the end. The girls both loved it.

    ReplyDelete