Sunday, December 13, 2009


Today was the third Sunday of Advent. In the old days, it was called Gaudete Sunday, from the Latin meaning, "to rejoice." The priest would wear rose colored vestments, one of only two Sundays that this happened. Gaudete Sunday was a way of reminding us--before Christmas displays and ads were up just after Halloween--that the penetential waitig season of Advent was coming to a close, and Christmas was nearing. We light three candles on the Advent wreath, the thrid one being the pink one to symbolize Joy. This is the Advent wreath at our church. Cutout reduced it to its essential elements--the candles, the colors, the flames and the wreath.

3 comments:

  1. The heat rising from the candles makes this image feel like I am viewing them close up. You caught the flames just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Bobbie, these photos are absolutely beautiful. I really want to do this, but wonder when I would have time to post a photo each day.....maybe one a week? LOL....I don't even know what a blog is, that is how dumb I am, but I do love photos! lOL....they are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete