Sunday, March 29, 2009


When I was growing up, Catholic churches had arrays of votive candles in front of statues of the Blessed Mother and various saints. If you had a special intention, you'd slip your money (a dime was the standard donation for a small candle, an unfathomable amount--probably a quarter--for the large ones) into the slot in a metal box on the front of the rack. Then you'd pull a long wooden stick out of anothebox that was full of sand. You'd say a prayer, light the stick from one of the burning candles, then light your chosen candle and extinguish the stick in the sand. It was all very solemn and filled with mystery. The churches smelled sweetly of beeswax.


It was a fire hazard. One of the side altars at my childhood church was badly damaged in a fire started by one of the votive candles. It seems also that this sort of devotion fell out of favor. Few Catholic churches in our area have votive candles at all. A few years ago, the church in our town installed electric candles. I'm actually not sure how they work, but I guess you put you money in the slot and one of the candles goes on for a certain period of time. To me, it lacks the mystique of real flame and beeswax. This is a picture of the new style "candles." I used a combination of
Smudge Stick and Accented Edges which seems to bring out the plastic element of the pseudo-candles.

14 comments:

  1. I remember that ritual very well. When I saw the electric ones for the first time I was speechless! In any case, your candle shots are very nice...I like the first one best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative take on the theme. I can't decide which I like better, both for different reasons, but I do love the composition of the image itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots. I too remember the old candles. I must confess that when I was a little kid I would look around and if nobody around then I would light one FREE. Oh God please forgive me.:) I liked every thing about the older rituals, mass in Latin, Incense burning every Sunday etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recaptured the feeling for me and I had never been there before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, Bobbie. The perspective is wonderful. I was raised Southern Baptist, and I won't ever forget the time that I saw Catholic candles for the first time. I was on a school trip to New York and we went into a Catholic church. I went and got one of the children in our group who was a Catholic to explain it all to me. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice image. I think I like the un photoshop version - don;t know why- it just grabs me. I am not Catholic but have been in many but didn't realize candles had gone away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad that the tradition has gone out of favor for safety or whatever reason. I like both your original and revision...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too remember the votive candles. It was a big deal. If you had a nickel one of the nuns would give us special permission during recess to go into the church next to school and light a candle. I didn't realize it was no longer a tradition. Nice capture, but it isn't quite the same as the flame and the scent.

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful shot. I've heard about parishes using the electric candles but this is the first I've seen them. We still have the small votive candles complete with real flame.
    Hope the Easter candle isn't the next one to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photo and interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did bring out the 'noncandleness' Wonderful shot and brings one back. I remember the smell and didn't know either that they had been replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice capture, but the story makes me sad. I don't attend Catholic church anymore, but what I miss about it is the tradition. I don't like to see them go away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The electric candles do seem to lack the charm of the real thing - but your photo and composition have a certain charm about them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative take on the theme - and an interesting memory of religious history. I remember that soft candle glow from visiting dimly lit cathedrals in Europe. It was very peaceful and prayerful.

    ReplyDelete